The story of Immaculate Conception Church goes back to the early 1900's. The original church started in a small store on White Plains Road and 215th Street, opposite St. Mary's Church, and was under the pastoral care of Reverend Father Joseph Ciringione. The Capuchin friars were introduced to the church with the appointment of Father Raymond Tonini as pastor on June 27, 1920. During his time as pastor, the parish community grew in numbers and spirituality.
On December 23, 1923, the original wooden church burned to the ground, leaving only the cement foundation. Faced with the task of rebuilding the church, Father Raymond looked at the empty land on Gun Hill Road east of Holland Avenue and saw new possibilities. The groundbreaking ceremony occurred on March 4, 1924 and the building was completed on December 4, 1925 under the architect Joseph Ziccardi in a basilica-like, neo-romanesque style.
Today, Immaculate Conception Church stands proudly on 754 East Gun Hill Road. It is home to a multicultural community and welcomes all people!